© Jam 2007.
UK charity SC 037050.
Clearing litter on village grounds
The Star's Land Grammar Schools in the villages of Booni and Parwak were established by forward thinking committed Chitralis. The schools excel in academic achievements and are pioneers in their community ethos:
• Emphasis on low fees with scholarships available for the most disadvantaged
• Special encouragement of more girls to school and both Ismaili and Sunni faiths included
• Modern approaches to education embraced including group and presentation work, and activities outside the classroom. Encouraging a cooperative and investigative spirit plus awareness of the environment
• High level of academic achievement
• Particular emphasis on active parental involvement
• High standards of discipline maintained in a relaxed and caring atmosphere
• Focus on creating community activity and participation through committees, mothers' meetings, parents' day, etc.
• Encouragement and provision of basic healthcare and hygiene
The schools are very resourceful with a minimum or resources, making far reaching use of everything available to them. A teacher's wage is around £20 a month while books, chalk, pencils and sports equipment cost pennies or a few pounds.
The schools' own reports contain more details of their activities and philosophy.